Township of Long Hill

Municipal Court
915 Valley Road, Gillette, NJ 07933
(908) 647-8000 ext.

Municipal Court Staff
Title Name 908-647-8000
Municipal Court Judge James D. Bride
Municipal Court Administrator Ann Naylor ext. 230
(908) 647-8369
Fax: (908) 647-4012
Municipal Court Prosecutor Lisa Chadwick Thompson ext. 236
Municipal Court Public Defender Michelle Welsh .

Traffic/Criminal Court is held twice each month on Thursday evenings at 7:00 p.m. at Town Hall and are open to the public.

The Violations Bureau is located at the Town Hall. Contact the Violations Bureau to determine the amount of the penalty for any summons you have received.

If you receive a summons and wish to plead not guilty to the offense, you must notify the Court Administrator of intention at least 7 days prior to the scheduled court date.

The Court office handles approximately 3000 summonses and 400 ordinance and disorderly persons complaints each year. Of these, approximately 500 of them enter NOT GUILTY pleas and are heard in court before the Judge. Some matters (i.e. neighbor disputes) are referred to the Community Dispute Resolution Committee for mediation rather than a formal hearing before the judge.

You can pay your traffic fines online using a credit card.  This service is provided through the New Jersey State Judiciary website. Be sure to note the hours of operation on their home page.  Click Here. The Court office now accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express during business hours

Visit this page on the NJ Judiciary website for more information about Municipal Courts in New Jersey.

The Community Dispute Resolution Committee provides a means in which local disputes at the municipal level can be resolved without going to Court. Disputing parties appear before a team of trained mediators who work with the parties to develop a solution to the problem. The mediators are citizens from the community who volunteer to serve. Long Hill Township combines with Morristown to form a joint CDRC which handles disputes.

Often these types of disputes are more effectively resolved through mediation rather than through a formal court proceeding.

The types of disputes that could be referred to the CDRC include the following:

  • Neighborhood disputes
  • Business/consumer Complaints
  • Simple harassment and simple trespass
  • Dog and noise complaints
  • Bad checks
  • Landlord/tenant disputes
  • Destruction and simple theft

Cases are referred by the CDRC by the Municipal Court Judge or Court Administrator. If the parties fail to reach an agreement, the case may be returned to the court for further proceedings. If you have a case referred to CDRC, the Court Administrator will give you more details.