This plaque honors John Dolan, who served the Police Department from 1951 and became its Chief in 1954. On March 22, 1966 Chief John Dolan was killed in the line of duty, suffering a heart attack after a physical altercation during a domestic dispute. Chief Dolan was 47 years old at the time of his death.
A memorial was erected in memory of Chief Dolan at Stirling Lake, and in 1993, it was moved to the current police headquarters on Mercer Street, Stirling.
In May 1996 Chief Dolan's name was added to the National Law Enforcement Memorial Wall in Washington D.C. A contingent of Long Hill Township police officers escorted his wife, Mrs. Eleanor Dolan, his daughter, Mrs. Patricia Falzarano and one of his sons, Mr. John Dolan, to the ceremony.
The Police Department moved to its current headquarters in 1977. The building was built as a Naval Reserve Training Center. It was abandoned by the Navy and was leased from 1977 until 1982, when the township purchased it from the United States government.
In 1993, the building was expanded by adding a second floor. This plaque was unveiled at the dedication on April 24, 1993. In 1999, a second renovation upgraded the communications center, improved security, and added an Operating Center for the Office of Emergency Management.